Thursday 9 April 2015

2015: MA Musical Theatre Audition #1: GSA

And so begins the trials and tribulations of the PG drama app in 2015!

My first audition of the season was for GSA. As I've mentioned in a previous post, they don't give a whole lotta helpful advice about getting there (See http://journeytodramaschool.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/getting-to-gsa-for-dummies.html), but nonetheless I found the GSA building and had time to change into my dance clothes and relax a bit before the audition began.

The day started quite normally, we had to bring a passport photo (don't forget this!) along and hand it over when we registered at the start of the day. If you arrive early, you'll have plenty of time to calm yourself, and limber up if you so desire. I was initially a bit alarmed by the sheer number of people in the dance studio, before realising that they were auditioning students for both the BA and MA courses that day. We split into two groups and did a pretty standard warm up before going into our stretches. After this they split us up into groups of about 4 to check our technique with pirouettes  etc.

We learnt two separate routines, one fast and one slower but longer and more lyrical. Both were not (in my opinion) horrendously complicated, but then I have danced quite a bit this past year. Despite this, my dancing here was less than perfect but I felt I had done okay as a 'non-dancer". After dance, we had a short break in which to get changed before singing.

We did a thorough warm up, then heard a short speech from a member of the singing staff. After this we each sang one of our songs (our own choice) in full, and then 16 bars of another song. Unfortunately I think I let my nerves slightly affect by vocals; I hadn't performed my song publicly before and I think perhaps I got slightly spooked doing it on this occasion. It wasn't bad, it was just frustrating as the sound was a bit breathy and not as full in some places as I know it can be. This doesn't normally happen to me though, so I'm hoping that it was just a fluke and I'll be better next time. We had another break and then each performed one of our monologues (again our own choice). The monologue went well, I got a real buzz out of performing it and got a few laughs from my fellow auditionees, which is always encouraging! After another break we were then brought back into the room to find out who had been recalled.

I expected not to be recalled as I didn't feel that I had done particularly amazing in any of the sections, and I thought that a couple of other girls had done really well in all the different sections that day. I was pretty surprised to find out that a) they only wanted to recall one person from our entire audition group and b) it wasn't one of the girls that had stood out to me, but another completely different girl. I guess this just shows that you don't and can't know what the drama schools are looking for... the only way I could have been more surprised is if they had recalled me....haha

Despite not getting recalled, and being a little shocked by the brutal nature of the cut (I mean, 1 out of an entire group!?!), I wasn't upset by the outcome of GSA's audition. I met some lovely auditionees, discovered some potential new audition material from the others and felt I had done well, all things considered. As said before, I am by NO MEANS a dancer, and I felt there was a big emphasis at GSA on your dancing skills being up to scratch. Gotta keep working at that, I guess!

Cheers for tuning in, until next time!

Yours faithfully,
the postgrad-app 




No comments:

Post a Comment