Sunday 6 July 2014

A brief history of mine

I wasn't one of those children who always knew they wanted to be an actor. In fact for many years, until injury struck, I was convinced I was going to be a professional dancer. In the words of the great philosopher, Forrest Gump "My momma always said 'life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get'". I found myself having to find a new dream in life, and flitted between various ideas for a number of years.

Like many children, I joined an amateur dramatics group, had fun and briefly entertained the idea of being a professional actress. Again, like many children, I dismissed this as merely a phase. However nearly a decade later, having finished university I found myself drawn towards performing. A lot of soul-searching, bad jobs and general thinking later I realised:
a) I want to be a professional actor
b) given the way that the acting industry works in this country (UK), the way to give myself the best start at my acting career is to train at a leading drama school

This of course, is not without it's problems. Drama school, particularly for us postgrads is prohibitively expensive (I'll cover the financial problems associated with drama school in a separate post later). Additionally, unless you've been living under a rock, you'll know it's incredibly competitive to get into.
I only auditioned for two schools this year, as I was testing the water and didn't manage to get recalls for either. But now, I know what needs to be done and I'm ready to put in that work for next year!

To all those that have been reading, and following so far- I wish you all the best with your individual journeys, thanks so much for joining me here!

Yours faithfully,
the postgrad-app 

No comments:

Post a Comment