Thursday 10 July 2014

Drama school audition 1: LAMDA

From the moment I read the course description of the two year course at LAMDA, I was in love. Everything about it sounded perfect for me; the length of training, the classes and particularly the new writing component of the course. Alas, it was an unrequited love but I enjoyed it while it lasted!

My LAMDA audition was nothing out of the ordinary. I arrived at the school forty minutes before my audition (protip- always better to be half an hour early for an audition than five minutes late!), and so was taken to sit in the common room for about half an hour. Eventually I was called through to sit outside the audition room for a further ten minutes then eventually was called in.

For anyone who hasn't experienced an audition at LAMDA, I will warn you that it's a very quick process. Each school auditions conducts their first round auditions differently, with some preferring a workshop component that lasts around an hour as part of  the audition day but LAMDA operates what can be described as a conveyer belt audition. This means you go in, say your name, perform your two speeches then leave the audition room. The next person then goes in and this carries on. You then have a brief interview with a separate panel, which is pretty relaxed and mostly about yourself and your interests. The whole process lasts around ten minutes or so making it a pretty pricey audition (£44 currently) given the small amount of time you spend there. Despite all this, I enjoyed my time there, and given how nervous I was on the day I feel I performed pretty well.

Having not had a major acting audition in quite some time pre-LAMDA I was understandably nervous. I am naturally quite an anxious person and so started to worry about things could potentially go wrong. These ranged from the mundane; "What if I forget the words?/I lose my voice?" to the plain bizarre:
"what if I go to speak but vomit instead?". Thankfully nothing out of the ordinary happened, other than my voice slightly cracking during my Shakespeare speech, but I was able to push through it and carry on.

It's always so hard to gauge how well an audition like that has actually gone, but I left feeling better than when I arrived so I count that as a small victory in itself. Unfortunately LAMDA don't give feedback for first round auditions so I'll never know what I could have improved on. However, I'm trying to strengthen my application for next year in every way I can possibly think of so hopefully something will work!

Cheers for tuning in, until next time!

Yours faithfully,
the postgrad-app 

No comments:

Post a Comment