Monday 15 September 2014

Hard work, hard work!

After finally pulling myself out of my post summer slump, I'm pleased to announce that things at moving upwards for me. It would seem that auditions are just like London buses- you wait months for one and then several turn up at once! I am beyond thrilled about this even though the likelihood is that none of these auditions will translate to actual work, because I love performing so much, even if it's just in an audition room! 

People have asked me before how I find auditions, so I'm going to share with you my secrets. There are several resources I use:

1)the stage jobs- not thestagecastings but their actual jobs board. You need to be logged into an account to view the auditions on this board in full, but it's completely free to do so. I've found out about a handful of open auditions from this site, just be warned that if you go to one advertised there it's likely to be very busy so be prepared to queue!

2) ideastap- this site is mostly aimed at the under 25s and is a brilliant site for young actors. Not only does it advertised paid performing opportunities but it also advertises "briefs" that members can apply for which offer fantastic, career enhancing workshops and learning opportunities. Again, this is completely free to join so I would definitely recommend signing up and having a look to see if anything takes your fancy!

3)arts jobs- the job listings on here are fairly similar to those on ideas tap; there are jobs across the arts, from museums and galleries to jobs as dancers and musicians. I haven't found many performing opportunities on here, but as it's free to sign up there isn't too much to lose. 
 
4) social media- I know this is a rather general term but social media is fast becoming a brilliant way to discover performing opportunities. If you aren't using it to its full potential already, I strongly advise you to sign up on twitter and Facebook and make sure you're up to date on who's casting what and what workshop opportunities are out there. 

So, what are you waiting for? If you haven't already, get yourself signed up for these sites and start trying to find more opportunities for yourselves! Seize the day! 

Yours faithfully,
The postgrad app

N.B. I know I haven't mentioned several other casting sites, but I'm not the biggest fan of either StarNow or CCP so I feel it would be somewhat disingenuous for me to promote them. However if they work for you, then by all means carry on with them! 
I've also assumed that if this particular post is helpful to you then you most likely lack the requirements to join spotlight, hence its omission from this post as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment