Friday 3 October 2014

Dealing with rejection

This post was particularly hard for me to write. As much as I would love to be able to tell you to that after each audition you simply have to put that job to the back of your mind and forget about it, I'm all too aware that in reality it's just not that easy.


I tweeted the above, nearly a month ago and so far those auditions have translated into a big fat nothing. This shouldn't be alarming to me  (and it isn't) but unfortunately I let one of those auditions get to me. I can't put my finger on exactly what happened that made this job so hard to let go of, but I think it was a combination of a few things:

1)It was the first audition I had had in months (and I mean literally months)
2)It was an audition to play a real historical character
3)It was an audition for the kind of part I never normally get seen for, and probably won't anytime soon! 
4)The person auditioned me assured me I would be contacted within a week, at the latest


To be honest it was probably the last of those that got to me most. I accept that people are busy, but don't make promises about contacting me by a certain time if you can't do it! Eventually I found out it was a no over a week past the "deadline", by which point I had accepted it was probably going to be the case. I actually find it easier when you're told at an audition, or a job interview, that you will hear back by a certain point if you're successful (or not if you aren't). This enables me to forget a lot more easily and get on with my life! My frustration about this job has now passed, and I've been to other auditions since and am keeping busy.


My top tips for anyone in a similar situation are:
1) Keep busy, it'll keep your mind off it! Watch a film, read a book, go for a walk or look for more work. Whatever works for you
2)Don't constantly refresh your e-mails, it's only going to drive you mad when you've received nothing but spam!
3)Don't beat yourself up over it. Enjoy your audition as a performance in itself, but always be ready to accept that the role doesn't always go to the best actor, but often to the person the auditioner thinks is best for the role. It's extremely important to remember that these two aren't the same!

I hope this entry has been helpful to some of you out there, until next time!

Yours faithfully,
The postgrad app



No comments:

Post a Comment