Monday 13 October 2014

Thank you for the music

I know that some of my readers may be slightly perplexed by the way I have discussed my experience and applications for both musical theatre and straight acting. The two are fairly distinct areas of performance, and if I'm completely honest, I've only just become certain of what I see myself doing.

Most of my performing experience is in straight theatre, but I've always been drawn to musicals. For a while I thought the sensible thing for me to do would be to train in straight acting then try to make the leap from straight acting to working in musicals, but I suddenly became aware that this wasn't really what I wanted to do.

My lightbulb moment came, when I thought about all my dream roles and realised that the vast majority were in musicals. If I want to work predominantly in musical theatre, then it makes no sense to train in something else. I know that singing and movement are integral part of straight acting courses, but given the specific nature of musical theatre I know it is far better to train on a course where I can immerse myself in developing the three core skills as much as possible, and become a true triple threat.

With that in mind, I am going to only be applying to one year MT courses, with one notable exception. I'm still in love with the two year acting course at LAMDA and so will be applying there as well...in the extremely unlikely situation that I get into LAMDA and one of my MT courses, I will have a very difficult decision to make!

Right now, the shortlist is looking like (in no particular order) : GSA, Mountview, LAMDA, LSMT and RAM. I would love to apply for more, but given how expensive it is, I am somewhat restricted.

Thank you to my readers so far, I've been bowled away that people are actually reading my angsty-actor rambles (outside of my family)! If you have any suggestions for things you'd like me to write about then just let me know!

Until next time!
Yours faithfully,
the postgrad-app


No comments:

Post a Comment